Friday, September 12, 2008

Birthday Revisited

Today, I have been 27 for one month.

And so, a couple of birthday notes.

A big thank you to Brett and Trina, who took me out to Ahi Sushi on the night of Friday the 8th... with pretty much everyone else (and Tracy) out of town, it was a really wonderful birthday dinner.

Birthday Dinner 2


Trina got a saki sampler, including one type served in a wooden box. Who knew?

Boxed Saki


Kevin and Sarah got me a wonderful lasagna pan and makings; he talked these guys up earlier in the year, and I was excited to check it out.

Birthday Present


I have since made the recipe it came with, a chicken/tomato lasagna. No sauce, lots of cheese – including smoked gouda. It was awesome, and I substituted chicken sausage for some of the chicken.

Tracy, although out of town, grabbed me a snazzy new suitcase. The old one tipped over and was, well, old, so I was pretty psyched. Plus, it's orange, and that makes me happy.

I got some wonderful books from my parents, and the new Bowdoinham T-shirt. My grandparents sent me a wonderful card and a check. Tracy's folks got me a book, as well as some homemade Gak, which was fun.

I flew out of LA on my birthday proper, taking the redeye home to Maine. Will was kind enough to give me a ride, getting me there right on time. Waiting for the plane, I completed the following in about 40 minutes.

Birthday Crossword


Made me feel good before getting on an 8-hour flying adventure.

The following morning, my dad picked me up, ready with Standard Baking morning rolls – possibly the greatest thing in the world. With some cupcakes from Two Fat Cats for dessert, we had a nice quiet post-birthday dinner, just my mom, my dad, and me.

The next day, the 14th, we had a big barbeque to celebrate no juts my birthday, but being in town, and John's being in town for a vacation from Guatemala. The Fisher-Baums came over, Jim and Cynthia, Tracy's folks, the Englers (including brother Dan), my bro, sis, and nephew, the Barry's, we all got together, ate some great food (including Hutson-style grilled burgers), ran out of the rain, made hand-cranked ice cream, and enjoyed some more Fat Cats cake.

All in all, it was a wonderful birthday. Over the course of a few days, I got to connect, one way or another, with most of the people I love, and I had a good time all the way through. So thanks to everyone who helped ring in 27 years with me.

Until next August!

0 comments: