Saturday, March 15, 2008

Au Revior

Kevin and Sarah, who had been visiting for the last eight days, left yesterday morning.

So that's definitely a Sad Thing.

We all had a good time with them around; we saw a movie, went to the Getty, had some dinners both out and in, celebrated Tracy's birthday, checked out the Hollywood farmer's market, played the Wii a bit. Kevin edited a family doco he'd shot three and a half years ago; watching that come together, and helping a bit, was pretty exciting. Kevin deserves some hearty congratulations on finishing a project that's been so long in the making. I may not have done any blog posting during their visit, but we showed Sarah Raiders of the Lost Ark for the first time, which was priceless and much more important.

Having out-of-town friends in LA always makes me appreciate the city more; sure, I get self-conscious about some aspects, but I also feel proud and happy about others. For better or for worse, this is my city right now, and I like to show it off.

I discovered that Kevin has a blog, just as he discovered that I have one. One more link to add to the roll.

Kevin and Sarah are good people; Tracy and I both wish they lived near us with a stronger day-to-day presence in our lives. Which is not to say that we don't have other good people living in Los Angeles, because we do, just as we have other good friends who are afar. Still, though, Kevin and Sarah were fully present for a week, just as John was in Hawaii, and now we miss them.

With the house to ourselves, I can spread my junk around again, and go into the office at any time and not feel like I am intruding (or waking our guests up). I have my computer back, now that Kevin isn't editing on it. I can walk around in my underwear if I want to. Our apartment isn't huge, and there's more breathing room now.

But, for all of that, it also feels a little empty now. And we're the poorer for it.

1 comments:

Kevin Baker said...

Hutson--we had a great time out west with you, Tracy, and the gang. I couldn't really imagine a better spring break. :-)