Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Safari Keyboard Shortcuts

I like Apple's Safari web browser quite a bit. I like the built in RSS reader (although, as I subscribe to more feeds, I start to understand why people use stand-alone applications). I love the bookmark system, and enjoy the simple feel of the program, and couldn't live without tabs.

That being said, I have found myself annoyed when trying to get around it using only the keyboard.

One of my longtime favorite tricks has been navigating between tabs using Command-Shift-Left or -Right. Very useful, although if the "focus" is paid to a text field in a page, it won't work.

Holding down the Command key when hitting "Return" or "Enter" after filling in any text box, be it a web form, or the Address Bar or Search field, opens the resulting page in a new tab; very useful.

But I always wanted to be able to jump to the Address Bar (where the URL is) and the Google Search bar easily; hitting tab until I ended up there takes too long and is unpredictable, depending on the complexity of the site you're currently on.

So I was pretty excited when I discovered that Command-L takes you to the Address Bar, while Command-Option-F brings the focus to the search field. As a bonus, that search shortcut works in most applications with a search field: The Finder, iTunes, Mail, and others.

But my favorite discovery isn't a shortcut... but a fairly comprehensive list of shortcuts. For those so inclined, copy this link and paste it into the Address Bar, hit enter, and feast your eyes on a master guide to Safari shortcuts.

3 comments:

Andrew said...

Thank you for Cmd-Shift-Left and -Right! I've been looking for that since I "switched" two weeks ago.

Anonymous said...

IF you use Command-Shift { or } [ ] it will move tabs regardless of wether you have text highlighted.

Anonymous said...

Best. Post. Ever. Thank you Wicked Good Blog, and thank you anonymous command-shift-bracket-master.