Wednesday, December 05, 2007

YouTube x3

Because work is all about receiving, viewing, and passing along humorous internet videos.



This one's courtesy of Jeremey Foley, who can't stop watching it. The humor comes on slowly; like The Big Lebowski and fine wine, it gets better with age. Once you anticipate what's coming, and laugh at the reporter as she herself laughs, it gets pretty good.

I do feel bad for the kid; what he's said, even in the context he has, is not that different from a lot of things kids say. But he ends up on YouTube, and suddenly a million people are laughing at him.

You know what? When I was a kid, I misunderstood a reporter asking me questions on the news... so I started talking about a local recycling initiative instead of an infamous murder case.

Shit happens, I guess. And that is still funny.



This one comes from Adam; he, Jamie, Belinda, and I have been mulling this one over for a day or two. Jamie has already put up a blog post about it, and then a response post to the original.

I am so five minutes ago.

This is, on examination, quite clearly staged. The kid starts screaming and moving in a way obviously designed to attract the dog's, ah, affections, and the camera-person is expecting this, and intentionally not rushing to the child's aid. But I like to think that this is a recreation, for the benefit of the camera, of a prior event, a candid moment where all parties found themselves in this shocking (and hilarious) circumstance, which, at its conclusion, left all involved thinking "I wished we had that on tape!"

Well, now you do.

Jamie also makes the excellent point that, regardless of the human intentions on display, that dog is dead serious.



Lastly, here's my favorite strike video yet. If you don't know what strike I'm talking about... you don't live in LA. So good for you.

This week is when a lot of normal viewers are going to start noticing the Writer's Strike. This is pretty much the last week of new scripted entertainment until... well, who knows when. Half of the shows out there start are already showing repeats, and the late night shows have been out of production for over a month.

This video does a good job of positing what would happen if more media formats ran out of content with the striking WGA...

And isn't David Cross great?

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Finally saw the strike video... and I'm fairly sure (rewatched it: no question) that violin piece is a vamp on Chocolate Rain".

It's the little things.