Sunday, October 14, 2007

Sic Transit iMac...

I want to take a moment and mourn the passing of a friend... my iMac G5, after 3 full years of service, is dead.

I attempted to replace the hard drive today, but found that a plastic connector (for what must, to my mind, be a temperature sensor; it connects to the chassis of the hard drive, not any actual drive components) had become so brittle that just touching it caused it to fall apart. I can only assume my computer had, in the past, gotten too hot for too long; this plastic was truly degraded. I proceeded anyway, and did my best to reconstruct the part, but when I went to start the machine up, the drive wouldn't engage for several minutes, and no start-up screen ever loaded.

Dead for a ducat, dead.

So farewell, dear iMac. You served me well, and we had good times.

I'm glad I backed you up last week. I have to figure out a way to get you recycled, now...

In the meantime, I think it may be time for Tracy to get a laptop of her own. I still want one of the new aluminum iMacs, but I need to wait for that... Leopard comes out soon, and I can wait for the next revision to come along. Besides which, I plan on making a TV my next big purchase... So Tracy having her own machine will give us a home computer solution in the meantime. Besides which, she's started talking about it recently, so hopefully I can convince her... ;)

Anyone interested in a 500GB internal SATA drive? High quality, ready to rock; I'll sell it cheap for 80 bucks. Let me know...

0 comments: