Sunday, January 27, 2008

Good Points On Blogging

I've spent the last few weeks expanding the number of blogs I read, because (A) I like to, (B) Tech and design blogs interest me, (C) some of these guys link back and forth among each other so much, it's like I'm stuck in an old-fashioned webring, and lastly, (D) it's good research for getting better at writing myself.

Anyway, in the last day or two, a few of these newer blogs have posted about, you guessed it, posting.

From Shawn Blanc:

We have to remember not to confuse topic with content. What you write about is much more important than how you write about it.


From Seth Godin:
If you're writing online, forget everything you were tortured by in high school English class. You're not trying to win any awards or get an A.

Amen! Although, no one ever complained when content and style were both great.

Oh wait, nevermind.

But I do think this is good advice; focus on what you say over how you say it. This is true not only of writing, but of the CSS and HTML design of your site, the plating of your meals, the quality of your video: if the content is great, people won't care.

I still believe that style and quality are important; as often as not, form is function, or close enough to be indistinguishable. And I like good writing, probably more than the next guy.

But I try not to let my own lack of skill and refinement stop me from posting. Besides, how am I supposed to get better? Just reading won't do it...

hut_sig.png

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't sell your skill short, amigo... you run a hell of an operation.