Thursday, February 07, 2008

The Weeks Fly By

So it's Thursday.

Again.

I woke up thinking that the weekend was far away, and hating that. Then I realized we were almost there, and I hate that more.

I have a lot of things I want to do. Build a cabinet for my center channel speaker. Finish designing my logo/style guide. Code my website. Start my Podcast. Watch Sunshine. Clean and organize the back room. Hang out with my friends, who I rarely see as much as I want to. Write my Cloverfield reaction (which I promise is still coming!). Write better blog entries.

And I do barely any of these.

Yes, I work a lot— I have a normal 10-hour day, and plenty of people here work more than that, including myself. But that isn't the issue. I like my job, and I have leisure time, but I end up using it for other things— watching the weekly shows I like ("Lost," "Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles," "Project Runway," "House"), reading articles on the internet, finishing books, studying graphic design and HTML. Also things I like to do. Things I want to do.

How do we make our priorities work better? How do we balance all of the things a day demands (let alone a week!) with all of the things we want to do? These things... I don't want to see my goals get left behind... but I want to get at least a little sleep, and enjoy the spontaneous things that throw me off schedule.

If I didn't care about a social life, I'd try and start living on a 28-hour day, or something; I'd slowly fall in and out of sync with the world around me, as my "days" would be longer. I'd certainly get more done. No dice, though, as the social life is one of the things I need to make time for.

I don't know what the answer is. I think I'm going to try and take two lunch breaks a week, and write during lunch. Or design. Do something on the list, at least, while still leaving three lunches where I can sit with my coworkers and relax. And maybe wake up earlier on weekends... I tend to let myself sleep in to 10 or so, and that's time I could use. We'll see.

At the end of the day (or week), I think we all have to balance our needs with our goals. I'm not naive. I get that. I just want to do it better. You guys have any strategies that work for you? Any issues that seem particularly hard?


hut_sig.png

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suggest you quit your job and move to Maui with me. Sound good?