Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Coins From Across The Pond

It's been all over the interwebs today, but the United Kingdom just debuted their new coins today, and they are gorgeous.

This is what good design – of any kind – is all about. Beautiful, unified execution that satisfies both form and function. I ordered a set from the Royal Mint; this is the kind of art I want in my workspace, for a quick glance anytime I need inspiration or refreshment. This design has earned a place next to my Creative Power Bar (thanks Lucian and Marie!) and paintings of Bowdoinham and Monhegan. Hell, if the Apple logo can make you more creative, then why not some cold hard British cash?

One a personal note, I've been playing with some branding design of my own for the last few months (really a continuation of a project dating back to college), and had gravitated towards both heraldic styles and fragmented presentation. That's not to say that my ideas looked like this, but my head has been in some damn similar places. Which is makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

0 comments: